Saturday, May 24, 2014

Island Wraps



Being a resident of the MS Gulf Coast, I frequent the islands with friends and family when the weather is nice. Growing up, we always stopped by the grocery store deli and got fried chicken and potato logs to take with us to the islands. Don't get me wrong, I love these delicious, southern delights... I just can't indulge too frequently, especially during swim suit season. Last summer, I decided to pack light wraps for my island lunch and they have become a staple. These are wonderful to have handy poolside, on the beach, or in your everyday lunch. I wanted to keep the wraps simple, so there are just a few fresh ingredients involved in this delicious lunch recipe. These are also vegetarian!

Recipe:

Red bell pepper strips (4)
Spinach (1/4 cup)
Avocado (2 slices)
Goat cheese (2 tbsp)
Hummus (2 tbsp - any flavor)
1 wrap of your choice

This recipe is all about preference and can be adjusted to your taste. First, spread the hummus onto the wrap, leaving a little space around the edges for folding. Next, place the spinach leaves down the center and top them with the red bell pepper strips, avocado, and goat cheese. Make a wrap fold (see diagram below) and slice the wrap in half. I wrapped it in aluminum foil and placed it in a ziplock bag. The foil does a great job of keeping the wraps in shape and secure in the cooler. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment