Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Baked Mozzarella Sticks

Following along with today's Italian-themed posts, here's a recipe I have been wanting to try for a while. I have seen many cheese stick recipes using egg roll wrappers instead of the traditional breading, but most of them were still fried (yuck!)... Then I had a thought: Why not bake them instead? So, I did, and it was a wonderful idea. Is there really anything better than melty, hot cheese and marinara sauce? The answer is no. No, there is not.


It is only fair that I admit my mistakes before I pass this recipe along... I did not properly seal my egg roll wrappers with water before baking them. Two of them ended up oozing out and making a yummy, yet disastrous mess on the baking pan. Good news is, cheese is still tasty, even when it isn't pretty! :)

Ingredients:

4 mozzarella string cheese sticks
4 egg roll wrappers
Olive oil spray
Marinara sauce for dipping


Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a baking pan with olive oil. Place an egg roll wrapper at a diagonal, place one cheese stick at the top corner, and begin rolling it downward. Once you have rolled it half-way, tuck in the outer edges to keep the cheese from escaping... cheese is sneaky like that. Continue rolling the cheese stick inside of the egg roll wrapper and seal the last corner with water. Use small amounts of water to rub ALL of the edges and seal them very well (BIG step... do not take it lightly... lesson learned). Spritz the rolled cheese sticks lightly with olive oil spray - this will ensure they brown and crisp nicely. Bake for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway through baking. Serve with marinara. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment